A brief early history of the Deer Trail Mine south of Marysvale, Utah. Excerpt taken from the 1916 Marysvale Red Book, by Josiah F. Gibbs.
In September of 1878, George T. Henry, an English professor of Chemistry and metallurgy, and Joseph Smith, arrived from Silver Reef, the silver sandstones of which were being rapidly exhausted.They made headquarters at the ranch of William T. Dennis, two or three miles south of Marysvale, from which point they secured samples of the various properties and assayed them.Mr. Smith was something of a Nimrod, and essayed the laborious task of climbing the scrap-fault on face of mountain west of Dennis ranch, with the hope of obtaining a deer, then so numerous in that safe retreat.The base of the mountain is quartzite, having an ascent toward the south of about 10 degrees. Superimposed on the quartzite is a bed of limestone, the strata of which are nearly horizontal, thus forming a “blanket” contract.Mr. Smith ascended the base of the mountain, and turned south along the narrow shelf on top of the quartzite.His attention was attracted by a glittering substance on the trail, used by deer during countless centuries.The limestone was locally altered – nearly as white as snow.A brief examination by Mr. Smith proved the existence of a bedded lead-bearing vein.The hunt for deer ended, and mining on the Deer Trail began.
The Miners' Park Historical Trail begins in front of the wooden mine car. The trail continues to climb into the trees. For .25 mile, the trail goes past 16 displays of mining equipment, reconstructed workings and a refurbished cabin. There is a picnic area across the road from the Miners' Park, complete with tables and fire rings. Please pack out all that you bring in.
Ranked next to the Uintah and La Sal Mountains, the obscure Tushars are Utah’s third highest range. ATV enthusiasts in Piute and BeaverCounties have been well aware of this alpine paradise for years and it’s just a matter of time until other outdoor enthusiasts discover all this range has to offer.